Windows System Engineer for EMEA
This position will be part of the International IT Team supporting day-to-day user and server administration focused on the Microsoft Windows Platform (System Center Administration, OS/Security pushes, group/policy admin, and windows system build process), primarily in the EMEA region, but also including North America and APAC, based in the Cambridge, UK office. This position will also be involved in supporting longer-term local, regional, and international projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Support local and regional IT infrastructures, desktops
• Worldwide infrastructure support and follow the sun activities (Windows administration / OS/Security pushes / group/policy admin / windows system build process)
• Support of local / regional software development processes and associated activities
The Technical Environment
The server environment consists of Lenovo servers running Windows Server 2008/12/16/19 and Linux in a virtualized environment
The desktop computing environment consists of PC's running Windows 10, Linux, and Apple OS X
Support includes, but is not limited to, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, upgrades and installation of server hardware and software
IT System Administration
- Responsible for day-to-day administration, maintenance, and operations of Windows desktop and server infrastructure in local and international offices
- Supporting and administering Windows platform deployments Systems Center Configuration Manager, Windows Goup Policies, and automated Windows build processes
- Maintaining server hardware infrastructure, including resolving hardware issues and installing firmware updates
- Troubleshooting server and network issues
- Providing second-level support to frontline IT staff for end-user (desktop) issues
- Participation in the Infrastructure and Data Center Operations Team and Windows Admin Team weekly meetings
- Automaton using scripting and enhancing / re-engineering processes to gain efficiencies
- Create automated software installation packages for Windows computers
End user support
- Responsible for providing direct user computing support through Help Request system, phone call and walk-ins.
- Provide solution and response according SLA.
- Resolve complex problems, provide long-term problem resolution, performs trend analysis
- Create tools to prevent customer problems related to hardware, software, or network functions.
- Assumes ownership of assigned tasks and does whatever is necessary to follow through to completion and confirm end-user satisfaction
Coaching / training other IT staff
- Transfers knowledge and skills to other members of the IT team
- Create and share documentation of systems and processes
- Create Knowledge Base / How-to documentation
- Provide best practice of system administration to improve support model
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
Knowledge & Education:
- BS or MS Degree and/or equivalent related training
- Windows Server and Client Operating System
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager
- Microsoft Windows Active Directory
- Server hardware maintenance
- Local-area, wide-area, and wireless networks
- Networking topologies and protocols
- Troubleshooting and monitoring tools, techniques, and technologies
- Scripting and automation languages (Powershell)
- Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (nice-to-have)
Experience & Skills
- 4+ Years Windows administration (6Yrs+ IT Industry Experience)
- Active Directory admin, including schema, topologies, and objects
- Experience with Microsoft System Center technologies such as Configuration Manager and Windows Analytics
- Experience with automated Windows build applications such as Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) or Configuration Manager OSD
- PowerShell, VBScript, or Perl scripting (nice to have)
- Experience creating automated software packages
- Virtual server administration (nice to have)
- Experience with multi-platform computing (Windows/Linux/Mac)
- Ability to troubleshoot complex technical issues
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent judgment and solid decision-making skills
- Strong technical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Customer focused and dedicated to customer satisfaction
- Self-motivated, capable of using own initiative, and able to complete tasks on time
IT at MathWorks:
MathWorks is a highly successful company that heavily leverages IT to strategic advantage for our development and business areas. MathWorks IT is a worldwide team of bright, motivated, high-performing people, who build and implement solutions that improve our business. We’re always looking for innovative technologies or processes that improve the way we design, develop, deploy and support IT solutions.
We have the time, funding, and culture to “do the right thing”: As a privately-held company committed to continuous improvement, we have requirements driven -- not budget driven -- decision making processes. We give ourselves the time to design solutions right and have implemented an IT follow-the-sun support model leveraging the expertise of our worldwide IT staff.
Want to work in a place that has a culture that fosters collaboration, information sharing, on-going training and challenging work, so you can grow your expertise? MathWorks is it. We have a modern and sophisticated IT environment, and are already realizing the benefits of virtualization, mobile computing, SOA, enterprise data warehousing, cloud computing, and modern web application frameworks such as Ruby on Rails.
MathWorks has excellent facilities with modern offices, meeting spaces and computing tools that enable you to get your job done, plus a full selection of sugary, caffeinated and healthier choice beverages to keep you going. Join us, and take your IT career to a whole new level!
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 4500 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
if you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability in order to apply for a position.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster
and its supplement
The pay transparency policy is available here
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here