As a part of the Financial Accounting and Reporting team, the Accountant will be responsible for the key areas of accounting for MathWorks. The responsibilities will cover the entire process of Procure To Pay and Record To Report and ensuring timely and accurate recording of transaction including monthly accruals and depreciation, and overseeing compliance of the Tax function (Indirect and Direct Taxation), including audits.
Keeping abreast of the changes in compliances and tax laws, this position will be responsible for the accounting and operations teams to implement the changes as well as work closely with the International taxation team in the US corporate office. The candidate needs to be problem solver and have an aptitude for systems, with a proven track record of leveraging technology resulting in reduction of time and human efforts. This position offers excellent opportunities to the right candidate and will report to the Controller - India.
- Maintaining accuracy and meeting deadlines in all areas of work and help Finance & Operations team with day to day problem solving.
- Co-ordination with Consultants, Tax Authorities and International Teams to keep everyone updated of the development and handling statutory and tax audits.
- Knowledge sharing and keeping Financial Accounting and Reporting (FAR) team and Revenue Accounting and Reporting (RAC) team updated of the changes in the Tax laws which impact MathWorks in general and the teams specifically.
- Review existing processes, take suggestions from the team and identify areas of process improvements to implement changes and participate in ad-hoc projects as requested.
- Monitoring and updating all stakeholders about any notices, demands or orders received from tax authorities.
- Develop ability to be ready for supporting offices outside India when required.
- Other tasks as may be assigned from time to time.
Accounting and Audit:
- Building process to ensure compliance of expense bookings with Internal Approvals, Budgets and taxation before payout.
- Monthly close of Accounting modules, ensuring monthly Subledger to General Ledger reconciliation.
- Finance Induction to all new hires with regard to Expense Policy of and iExpense system of MathWorks.
- Finalization and payment of Advance Tax and TDS under various sections (including inter-company transactions).
- Ensuring correct TDS deduction and accounting thereof.
- Review and filing of all TDS returns, including rectifications, if any.
- Ensuring complete Tax compliances including returns like CbCR, Form 61A, Transfer Pricing, Income Tax Returns etc. and assessments.
- Check on Income Tax website regularly for notices if any and ensure responses are submitted timely.
- Ensure proper documentation for GST compliance like invoices for reverse charge, inter-office invoices, waybills, advance receipts etc. as required.
- Ensure input credit is availed only on eligible invoices of vendors.
- Ensure finalization and payment of GST, including RCM etc.
- Review and ensure filing of Indirect Tax returns whether monthly, quarterly or annually.
- Timely application of refunds etc.
- Preparation and obtaining LUT from GST authorities and other updates to be maintained.
- Handling of queries from the department
- VAT, CST & Service Tax:
- Coordinate and close out pending audits
- Handling all escalations of matters relating to Customs clearance of goods
- Payment of customs duty, wherever required
- A bachelor's degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree) is required.
- A bachelor’s degree with 5 to 7 years of professional work experience is preferred
- Master or Professional degree with an in-depth and expert understanding of accounting concepts and taxation
- Experience in Accounts Payable, Direct and Indirect Taxes permitting good interpretation of tax laws
- Detail oriented with ability to multi-task
- Proven ability to embrace new technologies. Systems & process savvy with experience in relevant software & financial reporting systems including:
- Advance to Expert user of: Microsoft Office Applications (EXCEL, WORD, etc.)
- Familiarity with: SharePoint, ERP Accounting Software, Business Objects, and Tax Preparation Software
- Strong organizational & communication skills and possess a teamwork mentality
- Problem solving attitude
It’s the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It’s contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it’s being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing – for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 4500 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
if you need reasonable accommodation because of a disability in order to apply for a position.
The MathWorks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. View The EEO is the Law poster
and its supplement
The pay transparency policy is available here
MathWorks participates in E-Verify. View the E-Verify posters here