Detect Human Intrusions in a PIR Sensor Network
Updated 19 Mar 2016
Source Code for the Intrusion Detection Algorithm & Analytical Modeling of PIR Sensor. IntrusionDetectionAlgorithm.c implements the online phasse of Intrusion Detection Algorithm (shown in Figure below).
We suggest the user refer to the publication/masters thesis for implementation details.
Please feel free to use the code in your research and development works. We would appreciate a citation to the paper below when this code is helpful in obtaining results in your future publications.
Publication for citation:
(1) Abu Sajana R*., R. Subramanian*, P. Vijay Kumar, Syam Krishnan, Bharadwaj Amrutur, Jeena Sebastian, Malati Hegde, S. V. R. Anand, "A Low-Complexity Algorithm for Intrusion Detection in a PIR-Based Wireless Sensor Network," In 5th International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP), pages 337–342, Dec 2009.
(2) The SmartDetect WSN Team, "SmartDetect: An efficient WSN implementation for intrusion detection," Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), 2010 Second International Conference on, Bangalore, 2010, pp. 1-2.
Please find my masters thesis here and my thesis defense slides here.
A Low-Complexity Algorithm for Intrusion Detection in a PIR-Based Wireless Sensor Network
• Investigated the problem of detecting a human intruder in the presence of clutter arising from wind-blown vegetation in a passive infra-red (PIR) based wireless sensor network (WSN).
• Proposed a low-complexity algorithm based on a combination of Haar Transform (HT) and Support Vector Machine (SVM) based training. Extensive field testing of the algorithm was done. The algorithm exhibited a very good performance.
Analytical Model For Intruder Signature
• Goal was to come up with a model for the intruder signature.
• Provided a closed-form expression for a good approximation to the intruder waveform.
• Developed, for the first time in literature, a model for the PIR sensor’s signature.
• Used this to determine how to optimally place multiple sensing nodes so as to estimate the path of the intruder in motion.
Ram Subramanian (2021). Detect Human Intrusions in a PIR Sensor Network (https://github.com/linux-ram/Human-Intrusion-Detect), GitHub. Retrieved .
MATLAB Release Compatibility
Platform CompatibilityWindows macOS Linux
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!