How I can randomly divide my data
10 views (last 30 days)
Show older comments
Sehairi K. on 25 Sep 2017
I have a matrix X with size nxm, How I can choose randomly 70 percent of this data and put it in matrix A and the rest in matrix B. I have already selected the 70% (according to rows) using the 'datasample' function, is there any tip to select the rest 30% of the data with there indices
[A,idx] = datasample(X,round(0.7*n));
Thanks in advance for your help
Jan on 25 Sep 2017
Edited: Jan on 25 Sep 2017
[A, idxA] = datasample(X, round(0.7*n));
idxB = 1:n;
idxB(idxA) = ;
B = X(idxB);
This is slightly faster than:
idxB = setdiff(1:n, idxA);
Jan on 26 Sep 2017
Edited: Jan on 26 Sep 2017
In the 2nd line the vector 1:n is created, and in the third line the indices used to create A are removed, such that you get the indices required for B.
The approach with randperm:
row_idx = randperm(n, round(n * 0.7)); % 2 inputs!
A_idx = false(n, 1); % logical(zeros()) wastes time
A = X(A_idx, :);
B = X(~A_idx, :);
I assume that this is faster than with datasample and the index vector.
More Answers (0)
Find more on Matrix Indexing in Help Center and File Exchange
Community Treasure Hunt
Find the treasures in MATLAB Central and discover how the community can help you!Start Hunting!