Try the steps below and see if they solve the issue:
1) Check whether the environment variables are the same when running from the terminal vs running from MATLAB. You can use the printenv or env commands (and use the system function to call them within MATLAB). In particular, look for the value of the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables. Make sure that the necessary libraries on the terminal paths are available from MATLAB as well.
2) Try the following steps:
- Identify the location where MATLAB is installed
- Navigate to the sys/os/glnxa64 directory within this installation folder
- Rename libstdc++.so.6 library to libstdc++.so.6.old
3) If you know where your QT installation is, you can try setting the following environment variable:
$ export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=<qt_base_path>/plugins