Highlights
Seguir

La encuesta está CERRADA

Encuesta

How do you primarily find content on Matlab Central (MLC)?

General web search
75%
Specific web search for MLC content
12%
I search directly within MLC
3%
Combination of choices 2 & 3
9%
Neither (please leave a comment)
1%
813 votos

Austin Burritt
Austin Burritt el 18 de En. de 2022 (Editada a las el 18 de En. de 2022)

The only time I use the MLC search is when searching specific MATLAB functions to remind myself of the options and such for functions I already know about. Otherwise a web search just makes more sense, casts a wider net while still getting the relevant information within the first 5 hits 99% of the time.

DGM
DGM el 5 de En. de 2022

Web searches are generally faster and more useful as far as I'm concerned. I'm often looking for information which might be on the forum or in documentation. There isn't a good way to search both from within the site. Yes, the general site-wide search (like the one on this page) works, but it's incredibly slow for me. Web searches also pull up relevant stuff on the FEX, GitHub, StackExchange, etc. That said, it does pick up plenty of trash too.

Image Analyst
Image Analyst el 5 de En. de 2022

Can you explain the difference between #2 and 3? MATLAB Central has a search field that says "Search MathWorks.com". However if you're in Answers it says "Search Answers", and if you're in File Exchange it will say "Search File Exchange". All 3 of those search only the Mathworks site, not the whole internet like Google would (though you can use "site" keyword to limit Google to just a specific site). However the MATLAB Central search searches the whole of Mathworks.com, rather than just specific parts (Answers or File Exchange) of MATLAB Central. So I'm a little unclear as to exactly what and where 2 and 3 refer to.

Adam Danz
Adam Danz el 5 de En. de 2022

It would be nice to have >35 chars for the choice descriptions.

#2: when a user has the intention of finding something on MLC but searches for it on Google/Bing/etc. If I include the word "matlab" with my google search for MLC content, nearly all of the results are MLC.

#3: Using MLC's built-in search directly in Answers, FEX, or wherever you're searching for content.

I use a combination of both. Google often does a better job with more vague searches while MLC search tools work better for me when I have a specific search or want to use MLC's search operators .

Etiquetas

Aún no se han introducido etiquetas.